Our 400th Tiny Home!!
OUR 400TH HOME, NAMED “BEATRICE”
Beatrice Van Tulder has been building tiny homes with us since the very beginning in March 2018. To honor her many years of service to this organization, we dedicated our 400th tiny home to Beatrice, AKA “The Caulking Queen.”
Here are some photos from the day. (Photos by Andrew Buchanan.)
THIS IS WHAT 400 HOMES LOOKS LIKE:
- 1200 bundles of shingles
- 3600 gallons of paint.
- 3200 panels of smart siding.
- 4400: 4×8 sheets of plywood for interior panels.
- 178,932 linear feet of 2×4’s. That’s nearly 34 miles.
- Guess how many nails? We don’t know…too many to count!
- But this we do know: 70,400 volunteer hours. Wow! You rock!
Normally, at the end of the day, we have what we commonly refer to as the “Kumbaya Moment” where everyone answers the question, “The best part of my day was…” On this special day, we answered the question, “The best part about Beatrice is…”
Needless to say, there was a lot of love (and not one dry eye) at The Hope Factory.
THE FINAL MATH
3 people per home per year transition in and out of every home x 20 year lifespan of each home = up to 60 lives we change with each home.
400 homes x up to 60 lives = up to 24,000 people off the streets.
LABOR DAY WEEKEND: Just a reminder that we will be open this Saturday (tomorrow) and Monday. WE WILL BE CLOSED ON SUNDAY. We have groups both days and really could use Team Leaders and more experienced volunteers. Thanks for stepping up this weekend.
SEPTEMBER 7TH: We will close at noon and celebrate our 400th home with an old fashioned BBQ. Thanks to the nearly 80 people who RSVP’d!
We will provide all the food and tableware. You bring something to drink. (To answer your next question: “Drink the drink of your choice.”) Also, seating is limited. If you don’t want to stand or sit on a five gallon bucket of paint, please bring your own lawn chair. We look forward to celebrating with you all!
September 11th: members of the King County Executive Team, Seattle City Council, members of Mayor Harrell’s team, folks from LIHI and a KCRHA Board Member will convene for a tour and summit at The Hope Factory. We will be discussing how we can open more tiny home villages in 2023 and 2024.
THANK YOU! To All Who Helped This Week
- Our “regulars“ who are the heart and soul of our organization.
- “New Crew” members: Marcus, our new friends from Tzu Chi, Tyler, Nick, and Sam.
- Our wonderful groups: Arya and Troup #751, Lake WA Sai Ctr., Google (first time), and AWS / Nate’s Team.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Come build with us this week! Here’s the link:
- Please remember to wear painting clothes even if you do not anticipate painting. Minimum age is 16 years. Please, no exceptions.
- Clarification: If the SignUpGenius says (The name of a Group Build) AND Open Build, this means that you can volunteer even if you are not a part of the group.
- TEAM LEADERS IN TRAINING: If you wish to become a Team Leader in Training, DO NOT SIGN UP for the day you wish to do this. Email SoundFoundationsNW@gmail.com and we will put you on the list.
We hope to be building with you soon!
Your Leadership Team: Beatrice, Tom, Bruce, David, Timothy and Barb
It Takes a Village to FUND a Village!
YOU are a big part of why stacks and stacks of lumber fill The Hope Factory. There are several ways to give throughout the year. Questions? Please email email@example.com. All gifts qualify as tax deductible but please consult your tax professional for your own situation.
To give by check, credit/ debit card, or via a tax-preferred method like a Donor Advised Fund or a Qualified Charitable Distribution from your IRA, start on our new Donate page and choose your preferred method. Thank you!
Sponsor a Home:
Remember, if you sponsor a home (currently $4500), you get to name the home! Tiny home sponsors have their names (or “anonymous”) and the name of their home added to our Tiny Home Sponsor wall and join our growing list of supporters who’ve reached a little deeper to become part of the solution to ending homelessness. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
A Few Reminders
- We do tours every day but Friday. Come visit if you haven’t been yet.
- We have a “Welcome to Sound Foundations NW” PowerPoint presentation that is also in .pdf form. If people ask you what we are all about, these are a simple thing to attach to an email to explain who we are, what we do, and why we do it. Email SoundFoundationsNW@gmail.com for this .pdf or PowerPoint.
- We fund our homes through a combination of private and public donations. For more information, please go to our website – Helping Finance the Homes.
Protocols, Address, Directions
- Volunteer at your own risk for Covid or any other illness. If you are experiencing any symptoms, please stay home.
- Masks are optional when volunteering at The Hope Factory. There is no shame in wearing a mask.
- The minimum age is 16 years. Please, no exceptions.
- When you are at The Hope Factory, please social distance whenever possible.
- Covid booster shots are not required but highly encouraged.
- We are usually there by 9 am or 2 pm on most Sundays. Make sure you double check the times in the Sign Up Genius. You can come and go as your schedule permits. Just let us know so we can plan ahead.
- Please bring your own gloves.
- Please leave your own tools at home.
- Please bring your own lunch.
- No matter what you do, please come prepared to paint.
- Warehouses can be difficult to heat and cool. Please dress appropriately.
- We currently have no indoor restrooms, Honey Bucket only.
- We understand that sometimes life gets in the way of good intentions. If you must cancel at the last minute, please contact us as soon as you know. Others may want to volunteer in your place.
- No experience necessary. We train willing hearts.
OUR ADDRESS is 5 S. Nevada St., Seattle 98109 in SODO.
visit our website