This coming week we will build our 400th home! This is more than just a number. This home represents thousands of volunteer hours with dedicated folks who believe very strongly that everyone has a right to be warm, safe, and dry.
To celebrate #400, Sound Foundations NW is having an old fashioned BBQ and you are invited.
Here are the details:
When: Thursday, September 7th starting at noon. (We will stop building at noon and celebrate the whole afternoon!)
Where: The Hope Factory
The cost is FREE. RSVP’S ARE REQUIRED NO LATER THAN AUGUST 31ST. Please email SoundFoundationsNW@gmail.com with the number of people who will be attending. We need to have an accurate count for the caterers.
So…apples to apples:
FIRST YEAR COST: $49,200,000 divided by 292 residents equals $168,493. (Roughly the equivalent of placing a resident in a one bedroom apartment in South King County for OVER EIGHT YEARS.)
Annual projected cost per year: year two and beyond: $16,600,000 divided by 292 equals $56,849 per resident per year.
TINY HOME VILLAGES
- 292 of RHA’s residents equal roughly 300 of our residents.
- 300 residents divided by three people per home per year equals 100 tiny homes.
- 100 tiny homes equals two – 50 home villages.
- Infrastructure cost for two tiny home villages (at $800,000 per village) including case management, food, and wrap around services for the first year equals $1,600,000.
- Construction costs for 100 homes at $4500 per home equals $450,000.
- Infrastructure plus tiny homes: $1,600,000 plus $450,000 equals $2,050,000.
FIRST YEAR COST: $2,050,000 divided by 300 residents equals $6833 per resident.
Actual cost per year per resident: year two and beyond (based on six years’ experience with LIHI): $9000 per year per home ($3000 per resident.)
Tiny homes cost $161,600 LESS PER RESIDENT for the first year and $53,849 LESS PER RESIDENT per year for years two and beyond.
We will have our ninth Eagle Scout project coming up on Saturday, August 26th. Arya will be “Barb for a Day” and run the overall build. He has been a regular at The Hope Factory, learning what he needs to know to be successful.
We are looking for some great Team Leaders and a few more Crew Members that day. Please make sure you sign up on the SignUpGenius.
Arya also has a goal of raising $5000 for his project. If you are going to be donating anyway, anytime soon, please consider placing your gift through Arya’s project. Here is the GoFundMe link. Thanks in advance for helping Arya out. It all goes to the same, great cause.
On Tuesday, we welcome Google for the first time!
If you’ve ever wondered how the King County Regional Homeless Authority is supposed to work, read this from the Washington DC area: https://community.solutions/case-studies/how-coordinated-entry-serves-veterans-experiencing-or-at-risk-of-homelessness/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Making%20homelessness%20solvable&utm_content=Making%20homelessness%20solvable+CID_cdd04170368b4b0efc21b7f2ab3f0411&utm_source=Email%20marketing%20software&utm_term=Read%20a%20joint%20post%20by%20VA%20and%20Community%20Solutions
DAVE’S TUSCON PROJECT
Dave Gamrath, who spends half of his time in Seattle and the other half in Tucson, is working with their electeds to get their first tiny home village started. Read all about it here:
Seattle was cited as a model for the tiny home villages.
THANK YOU! To All Who Helped This Week
- Our “regulars” who are the heart and soul of our organization.
- “New Crew” members: Shubhang, Kamal, Rahama, Rus, John, Lars, and Maddy.
- Our wonderful groups: ISSO Seva, Megan’s Birthday Party, Fauntleroy UCC Church, and Mercer Island United Methodist Church.
A special shout-out to Mercer Island United Methodist Church for your Jazz Concert this week to raise money for more tiny homes!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Come build with us this week! Here’s the link:
- Please remember to wear painting clothes even if you do not anticipate painting. Minimum age is 16 years. Please, no exceptions.
- Clarification: If the SignUpGenius says (The name of a Group Build) AND Open Build, this means that you can volunteer even if you are not a part of the group.
- TEAM LEADERS IN TRAINING: If you wish to become a Team Leader in Training, DO NOT SIGN UP for the day you wish to do this. Email SoundFoundationsNW@gmail.com and we will put you on the list.
We hope to be building with you soon!
Your Leadership Team: Beatrice, Tom, Bruce, David, Timothy and Barb
It Takes a Village to FUND a Village!
YOU are a big part of why stacks and stacks of lumber fill The Hope Factory. There are several ways to give throughout the year. Questions? Please email email@example.com. All gifts qualify as tax deductible but please consult your tax professional for your own situation.
Here’s how you can give:
- GoFundMe Campaign
- To give by check
- To give by credit or debit card, or set up a reccurring monthly donation
- To give through your Donor Advised Fund via the Chariot app
Sponsor a Home:
Remember, if you sponsor a home (currently $4500), you get to name the home! Tiny home sponsors have their names (or “anonymous”) and the name of their home added to our Tiny Home Sponsor wall and join our growing list of supporters who’ve reached a little deeper to become part of the solution to ending homelessness. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
A Few Reminders
- We do tours every day but Friday. Come visit if you haven’t been yet.
- We have a “Welcome to Sound Foundations NW” PowerPoint presentation that is also in .pdf form. If people ask you what we are all about, these are a simple thing to attach to an email to explain who we are, what we do, and why we do it. Email SoundFoundationsNW@gmail.com for this .pdf or PowerPoint.
- We fund our homes through a combination of private and public donations. For more information, please go to our website – Helping Finance the Homes.
Protocols, Address, Directions
- Volunteer at your own risk for Covid or any other illness. If you are experiencing any symptoms, please stay home.
- Masks are optional when volunteering at The Hope Factory. There is no shame in wearing a mask.
- The minimum age is 16 years. Please, no exceptions.
- When you are at The Hope Factory, please social distance whenever possible.
- Covid booster shots are not required but highly encouraged.
- We are usually there by 9 am or 2 pm on most Sundays. Make sure you double check the times in the Sign Up Genius. You can come and go as your schedule permits. Just let us know so we can plan ahead.
- Please bring your own gloves.
- Please leave your own tools at home.
- Please bring your own lunch.
- No matter what you do, please come prepared to paint.
- Warehouses can be difficult to heat and cool. Please dress appropriately.
- We currently have no indoor restrooms, Honey Bucket only.
- We understand that sometimes life gets in the way of good intentions. If you must cancel at the last minute, please contact us as soon as you know. Others may want to volunteer in your place.
- No experience necessary. We train willing hearts.
OUR ADDRESS is 5 S. Nevada St., Seattle 98109 in SODO.
visit our website