Pramila Jayapal Visits The Hope Factory
CONGRESSWOMAN PRAMILA JAYAPAL VISITS THE HOPE FACTORY
What a thrill it was to have Congresswoman Pramila Jayapal in the house! We toured the facility and talked about getting to Functional Zero. She then helped build a platform, tilt up two walls, and write some love notes. Most importantly, the Congresswoman saw how we are making a difference in King County and throughout the United States with our unique construction system building tiny homes.
Ms. Jayapal also talked to us about helping us fund some tiny homes through the funding for special projects. We will definately be talking to her further about this!
Here are more photos from the day.
VOLUNTEER SPOTLIGHT: SEBASTIEN M.
As we always say, our volunteers are the heart and soul of Sound Foundations NW. 300 days per year, you show up to build the walls, cut the insulation, install the roof, paint the homes, and roll one more tiny home out the door. Collectively, you’ve provided more than 72,000 hours of volunteer work since we began 5-1/2 years ago. That’s simply amazing! The compassion and love that you’ve shown is, literally, life-changing for thousands of formerly homeless folks.
Given all you do, we like to feature you on a regular basis – brand new volunteers, once or twice per-monther’s, and weekly regulars – to learn more about you and hear what you’re thinking. Our next Volunteer Spotlight comes from Sebastien M.:
How often do you volunteer and how long have you been coming?
I’ve been coming two to three times every month since I heard about the Hope Factory six months ago.
What started you volunteering at SFNW and what keeps you coming back?
I had seen Tiny [Home] villages around Seattle. I was curious but did not know much about them until I watched a French TV documentary about Seattle that featured a visit to the Hope Factory. Since I love building and carpentry, I immediately signed up as a volunteer. My main volunteering activity is at the Center for Wooden Boat, but I come to the Hope Factory any other time I can. I find the opportunity to build houses very fulfilling while helping people in our community with the most needs. And I’m always impressed by how well the factory is being managed and how efficiently we can build houses so quickly and cost-effectively.
(You can watch the segment [starting] at 26:00 min. of the French TV documentary here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA7nVS8S89s.)
What task do you enjoy most and why?
Anything involving screws and nails and preferably no painting or flooring 🙂
Thanks so much Sebastien, for all you do to support tiny homes, and tiny home villages, as a quick, affordable, and effective solution to homelessness!
GIVINGTUESDAY 2023 – #warmsafeanddry
Hard to believe but the winter holidays will be here before we blink, and that means GivingTuesday is just around the corner. GivingTuesday is the international day of giving and service that falls annually on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, immediately after Black Friday and Cyber Monday, and is touted as, “a global generosity movement unleashing the power of people and organizations to transform their communities and the world”
The day serves as a reminder that even during crazy holiday sales, the causes we support and the folks who are living on the streets continue to need our help, and that the act of generosity is, itself, a gift.
As you hopefully know by now, we’ve been in awe of the generosity of our volunteers and donors since we began more than 5-1/2 years ago. Collectively, your time and donations have resulted in more than 72,000 volunteer hours and over $1.8M to build more than 420 tiny homes, and counting. We couldn’t be more grateful!
But we need to keep going – the need is simply too great. So this month, we have a goal to raise the cost of five new tiny homes by Giving Tuesday, Nov. 28, and our campaign donation page is now open: https://soundfoundationsnw.networkforgood.com/projects/206878-giving-tuesday-2023-warmsafeanddry . Contributions in any amount are gratefully received, and will be quickly turned into tiny homes by our volunteers, to meet the tremendous demand for transitional, supportive shelter. We also hope to earn the support, at any amount, of fifty new folks who’ve never donated before but who are willing to show their confidence in tiny home villages as, in the words of Mayor Harrell, “the first, best path to solving homelessness.” If you’ve never yet donated, please consider this month a great time to show your support. Thank you!
Finally, some good news. Dan and his non-profit, the Downtown Emergency Service Center are doing it right.
- November 1st: February Group Build calendar opens up.
- November 6th, we will host members of the King County Regional Homeless Authority for a tour of The Hope Factory.
- November 8th, we will host a virtual Lunch and Learn for Amazon.
- December 12th, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will be building with us.
THANK YOU! To All Who Helped This Week
- Our “regulars“ are the heart and soul of our organization.
- “New Crew” members: Korby, Nicolas, Ben, Rose, Peter, and Anna…and Pramila 🙂
- Our wonderful groups: MD Architects (first time), Young Men’s Service League, Scout (first time), T Mobile, and LHH Recruitment Solutions (first time).
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Come build with us this week! Here’s the link:
- Please remember to wear painting clothes even if you do not anticipate painting. Minimum age is 16 years. Please, no exceptions.
- Clarification: If the SignUpGenius says (The name of a Group Build) AND Open Build, this means that you can volunteer even if you are not a part of the group.
- TEAM LEADERS IN TRAINING: If you wish to become a Team Leader in Training, DO NOT SIGN UP for the day you wish to do this. Email SoundFoundationsNW@gmail.com and we will put you on the list.=
We hope to be building with you soon!
Your Leadership Team: Beatrice, Tom, Bruce, David, Timothy and Barb
It Takes a Village to FUND a Village!
YOU are a big part of why stacks and stacks of lumber fill The Hope Factory. There are several ways to give throughout the year. Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org. All gifts qualify as tax deductible but please consult your tax professional for your own situation.
To give by check, credit/ debit card, a Donor Advised Fund, or a qualified charitable distribution from your IRA, start on our Donate page, or:
Remember, if you sponsor a home (currently $4500), you get to name the home! Tiny home sponsors have their names (or “anonymous”) and the name of their home added to our Tiny Home Sponsor wall and join our growing list of supporters who’ve reached a little deeper to become part of the solution to ending homelessness. Email email@example.com for details.
A Few Reminders
- We do tours every day but Friday. Come visit if you haven’t been yet.
- We have a “Welcome to Sound Foundations NW” PowerPoint presentation that is also in .pdf form. If people ask you what we are all about, these are a simple thing to attach to an email to explain who we are, what we do, and why we do it. Email SoundFoundationsNW@gmail.com for this .pdf or PowerPoint.
- We fund our homes through a combination of private and public donations. For more information, please go to our website – Helping Finance the Homes.
Protocols, Address, Directions
- Volunteer at your own risk for Covid or any other illness. If you are experiencing any symptoms, please stay home.
- Masks are optional when volunteering at The Hope Factory. There is no shame in wearing a mask.
- The minimum age is 16 years. Please, no exceptions.
- When you are at The Hope Factory, please social distance whenever possible.
- Covid booster shots are not required but highly encouraged.
- We are usually there by 9 am or 2 pm on most Sundays. Make sure you double check the times in the Sign Up Genius. You can come and go as your schedule permits. Just let us know so we can plan ahead.
- Please bring your own gloves.
- Please leave your own tools at home.
- Please bring your own lunch.
- No matter what you do, please come prepared to paint.
- Warehouses can be difficult to heat and cool. Please dress appropriately.
- We currently have no indoor restrooms, Honey Bucket only.
- We understand that sometimes life gets in the way of good intentions. If you must cancel at the last minute, please contact us as soon as you know. Others may want to volunteer in your place.
- No experience necessary. We train willing hearts.
OUR ADDRESS is 5 S. Nevada St., Seattle 98109 in SODO.
Visit Our Website: